Sunday, February 6, 2011

Holly and Beauty -- My First Team of Belgian Horses

I bought this team, Holly and Beauty, at a draft horse sale in Salt Lake City. When we went to the sale I had no intention of buying anything. When these beautiful mares came up for bid I lost my mind. Suddenly, I was bidding and just as suddenly the bidding was over and I had bought this fabulous pair. My brother, Sam, drove them down to his place on the Navajo Rez in New Mexico.

Later these mamas and the geldings in the last picture went to Bear Lake to work with my very good friend LeGrand. He sent these pictures.

LeGrand wrote:
"Mary, Here are two more pics... The Holly and Beauty Pic was taken on the Oregon trail East of Montpelier. I had a wagon load of kids. There were about 8 wagons on the trail that day and a huge crowd of people. I had the only team that they would let kids in for the ride. At one point we had to make a rather long steep pull to get up on a ridge. No brakes on the wagon. Several teams ahead of us had gotten half way and their horses gave out. Those ol' girls went up without even taking a deep breath. I had been feeding with them all winter."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness! At first, I thought that perhaps you had entered a team in the Salt Grass Trail. Love the remarks from LeGrand. He sounds like a man I would love to know. You need to renew that friendship.

    ReplyDelete